May 16, 2013

Wannabe Michellin star cooking at home

There are a myriad of fine dining options in Sydney that are on my big wish list. You see, even though I love food; I am a big fan of all the cooking and foodie reality shows, I love pottering around the kitchen trialling out new recipes and what not, I haven't actually fine dined in many of the "hatted" or "Michellin"-starred places in Sydney at all. Places like Quay (did you see them hit on the world's top 50 best restaurant list?), Est. and Testsuya.
I think in the back of my mind, I'm reserving these places for special occasions like Anniversaries or dining with other friends who really really reeeeaallly wanna go too, as (1) I'm a big fan of cheap and cheerful places, and also lean towards restaurants that have great word-of-mouth reviews, (2) I don't want these types of restaurants to become less of a special occasion by frequenting them too often, and (3) I don't want to break the bank either!

So in the meantime, I'll continue learning tips and tricks from my favourite chefs and cooks on the food channel. And continue being a wannabe Michellin star chef at home :)

Here's one recipe I tried over the weekend from Testuya Wakuda's recipe here.

Ginger & Lime Creme Brulee


Creme Brulee is one of my top fave desserts. This recipe made for a seemingly "lighter" feeling Creme, by mixing the creamy eggy mixture with soothing and refreshing ingredients with the fresh ginger and lime.
I did find that with this recipe, 45 mins in the oven mostly set the Creme, but maybe I should've left it in there for another 5 mins as there was still some wobble to the custard. Either way, adjust the time to bake, depending on the temperament of your oven!

Also, the recipe asked for ginger powder but I didn't have any on hand, so used ground ginger and that seemed fine.

OH and , and , and... we kind of experimented with some friends on burning three different sugars; light brown, demerera and white sugar. White sugar seemed to work the best!
Thanks for reading and following along peeps. I really appreciate the support and I'm enjoying my blogging adventures!


X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.