May 26, 2013

No Churn One Step Icecream

It pains me to say that there are two ingredients in this recipe that may deter you from trying out this recipe as most would consider them to be very very bad for you. But the recipe came from Nigella, so since taste is more important, I will just play ignorance hehe. There are too many good things going for it! I.e:
  1. There are only 4 ingredients
  2. There is no need to make a Creme Anglaise
  3. There is no need for an icecream maker or an icecream bowl attachment to churn the cream
  4. There is less than 10 minutes needed to make it... .HELLO?!
If you get the guilts with the fact there is double cream and condensed milk, you could get someone else to whip it up for you? Or simply make it with your eyes closed (cos you SO COULD), forgetting what went into the bowl.

Coffee-flavoured No Churn One Step Ice Cream





Here is Nigella's recipe for a no-churn-one-step Coffee Flavoured ice cream.
The alcohol is required in the recipe as this prevents the cream from firming up rock solid. But if you are going to make it for the kiddies, then this can be easily substituted with Raspberry Cordial and then just take the ice cream out of the freezer,10 minutes earlier than you are about to serve

Raspberry & White Chocolate Flavour recipe


Adapted from Nigella Lawson



Ingredients:
  1. 300ml Double Cream
  2. 175ml Sweetened Condensed Milk
  3. 2 TBSP Raspberry powder (I used "Fresh As" brand)
  4. 2 TBSP Raspberry Liquer (I used Chambord - this is a Black Raspberry liqueur)
  5. Half a block of good White Chocolate (I used Lindt)
  6. 2 handfuls of frozen raspberries
Steps:
  • Whip first four ingredients up into a soft peak cream texture (using whisk attachment on your standing mixer device, whip and make sure to check the mixture every 3 minutes... don't overwhip otherwise you will get butter!). 
  • Break up the white chocolate and carefully fold this and the frozen raspberries into your cream mixture.
  • Scrape mixture into a 2x 500ml plastic containers or paper ice cream tubs. Allow 6 hours to freeze up.
  • Before serving, take out of freezer for 5-10 minutes before scooping. This icecream can be stored in the freezer for up to one month.




Having ice cream in the colder months is so wrong, yet so right. I like my ice cream firm. MMmmm. And anyway, Sydney surprised us with the weather again...terrential rain paved way for clear blue warmer skies over the weekend!

The coffee one is quite creamy and the raspberry and white choc version I made has a lil tartness which I love. I don't know how I missed the boat and not discover this recipe sooner. I've had Nigella's "Nigellissima" book for ages, and I know of other no-churn recipes she has published too...including a Margarita flavoured one!! Next up for me is to keep experimenting, buy some ice cream tubs and gift some to my friends :) Perhaps a Varlhona Dark Chocolate and Baileys icecream?
X

1 comment so far

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.