February 16, 2014

Blueberry Chia Jam



I jumped on the Chia seed bandwagon about a year ago, not really knowing what this 'super food' was, but thought I needed to boost up my morning breakfast with something more nutrient-rich. I normally enjoy quinoa porridge with a tablespoon of chia seeds, a bit of almond milk, hot water and in the microwave it goes for 2 minutes. And then eaten with a topping of fresh berries, peaches and roasted almonds or pistachios. This, with a strong soy flat white to accompany, would fill my tum up until lunchtime. No need to snack.


I've always been daunted about using super food ingredients so I've never really attempted to make anything with Chia seeds before. Then I came across Sarah's (from A House In The Hills) amazing looking Raspberry Chia Jam. Wowsers. The fact that she says this is easy enough for her pup to make made it even better. Pretty, tick. Easy, tick. Delicious, tick. That's all you can ask for :)

I gave the Raspberry Chia Jam recipe a go and was curious to know if it tasted just as good with all sorts of berries, and yes my friends, blueberries works just as well. I had bought this little pot of raw honey during our visit home (NZ) over Christmas, and didn't really know what raw honey meant or would taste like. Let me tell you, it tastes MILES better than run-of-the-mill super market honey. This brand claims to be a product of happy little bees paying mini visits to local wild flora and fawna, collecting up a different type of honey with each production. If you happen to see this brand in any stores, pick up a jar, I bet you won't be disappointed. See more details here.




The jam took 2-3 minutes to make, and I made sure I sterilized my jam jars before storing. I've found no difference between black or white chia seeds. If you don't want them to be seen, then use the white variety.

BLUEBERRY CHIA JAM RECIPE

Check out Sarah's original beautiful Raspberry Chia Jam recipe here.

Prep time: 2-3 minutes (probably less!) | Equipment: 1 small 125ml sterilized jar and a small saucepan & fork

INGREDIENTS
  • One cup of frozen blueberries (or any frozen blueberry that you fancy)
  • Half a lemon's juice
  • 1.5 TBSP Raw Honey
  • 2 TBSP Chia seeds (I use Chia Co. brand)
STEPS
1.  In a small saucepan, place your frozen berries, lemon juice and raw honey in a small saucepan. Place this over a low heat, mixing and crushing the berries until the berries have thawed and the raw honey has dissolved. (leave lumps of berries if you like your jam quite pulpy).
2.  Take the saucepan off the heat, stir in your Chia seeds and pour the mixture into your sterilised jar.
3.  Leave to cool, then place in the fridge for at least an hour to set.




The jam should last you up to a week (stored in the fridge) and you can enjoy the jam with any kind of food you like. Here we tried it out on fresh Nutella Banana bread and it was the perfect tangy compliment.
I know there are plenty more ways to enjoy Chia seeds than just to bung it in raw in porridge, like, as a pudding, or making a gel out of the seeds and used in place of vegetable oil in a chocolate cake, but for now, I'm going to place a lil pot of this good stuff to dollop on my morning porridge.
Happy Monday for tomorrow... or as happy as a Monday can get!

X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.