June 05, 2013

Attempts with Gnocchi at home

I love watching Italian cooking shows. Whether it be Italian themed by Jamie Oliver and his mentor Gennaro Contaldo, or simply tours of Italian households, I get all fuzzy seeing Italian Mamas and Papas sharing recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation.
I have been to Milan before with one of my bestie (you know who you are ;) ), and even though it was just for a weekend (and during the winter months), I loved the outwardly lovable character of the people that we met. From the lady who didn't speak any English to give us directions, but kindly offered to walk us to our destination, to the lovely older waiter (he looked like Luigi from Super Mario Bros!) who drew hearts on our hot chocolates, the people, the food, and the culture is just absolutely wonderful.

I followed this Gordon Ramsay recipe and made my Gnocchi flatter, fried in the pan with some crispy bacon, peas, lemon zest, Creme Fraiche and Parmesan. It was a lil bit on the potato-y side, but I thought it tasted pretty alright! I would suggest playing with a bit more sifted flour than the recipe suggests and there probably is no need to add the ricotta into the dough! Also... just boil the potatoes instead of roasting... a much quicker deal!


I have since made them in a more pillow-y shape, with a chorizo, tomato and thyme sauce, topped with marinated goats cheese, it's perfect for a winter meal with any type of sauce!

Mr Lee and I missed a trip to Rome once (late to check in...grrr), and to this day, it still irks me that we have never been. So whilst I daydream about a big European trip that includes touch pointing with Italian cities, hopefully in the not too distant future, I will continue to be inspired by all things Italian, and experiment and attempt Italian recipes at home.
X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.