November 09, 2013

Rhubarb Bellini

This weekend's a cause for celebration as it marks exactly one year since I married my hubaloo Jase :)
So here's a great recipe for all kinds of celebration, a small departure from a traditional Peach Bellini, but a great use of an ingredient that is usually reserved for winter-y type desserts.




Rhubarb Bellini recipe

adapted from Jamie Oliver

Ingredients
  • Rhubarb Puree
- 300gm Rhubarb stalks chopped into small oblong pieces
- 1.5 inches fresh ginger, skin removed and sliced into chunks
- 80gm sugar /
- 2 TBSP water
  • A bottle of Prosecco or any dry Sparkling wine
  • Thyme for garnish
Steps
  1. Place the rhubarb, ginger, water and sugar in a medium saucepan and simmer on a low heat until the rhubarb has softened and is easily squashed when pressed with a fork
  2. Remove the chunks of ginger and pour the pulpy rhubarb mixture into a blender or using a stick blender, blend the mixture until a fine puree, and leave to cool completely
  3. Place a dollop of rhubarb puree into chilled champagne flutes and top up with chilled Prosecco. 
Serve immediately.









I made and tested this cocktail a month ago so rhubarb was still on the supermarket shelves. If you don't use up the rhubarb puree, it's ok... you can use it for mini rhubarb crumbles or plonk a tablespoon on top of your morning porridge/yoghurt/shake. If rhubarb isn't available, how about skip the boiling up process and try a summer fruit blend like nectarine and raspberries?
As I write this, 'Winter Wonderland' is playing in the background on a tv commercial and it has immediately got me in a cheery mood. I'm imagining myself prancing around with nibbly things in one hand, with a champagne flute filled with a refreshing bellini concoction in the other, laughing and chit chatting with friends over the upcoming holiday period. I told Jase the other day that whenever Bing Crosby's 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas' plays, I am immediately in a happy mood. He just rolled his eyes at me. He probably thinks I'm bonkers, because the song could be playing in July and I would still feel the same reaction hehe.

My voice has shot to pieces after being a bit unwell this week, but nothing will get me down in the way of a celebratory tipple! To celebrate our first year anniversary, we're going out to a Japanese restaurant that I've been wanting to go for awhile (unfortunately not Tetsuya... that will have to be saved for another time) and I can't wait to try out what sake or sake based cocktails they have on the menu :)

Cin cin!

X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.