October 29, 2013

Hokey Pokey For Your Sweeties

Hope you all had a great weekend! Aside from attending a charity Trivia night on Saturday, and a nice long birthday lunch afternoon on Sunday, I did also have quite a long Saturday afternoon of failed attempts at making Almond Roca... that turned into Almond Roca FUDGE. And as I actually had an aspiration to make a good friend something homemade for his birthday, I couldn't let the multiple throw outs get me down. Lucky for me, I remembered a fellow good blogger friend of mine, Rachael from Made From Scratch had recently posted a quick Hokey Pokey recipe.

So within a jiffy, I tripled her recipe, waited for the honey comb to cool and drizzled over some dark 70% Lindt Chocolate. Within about half hr, I had a present made and ready on the day I wanted to gift it.

Hokey Pokey recipe

Tripled recipe from Made From Scratch

Prep time: 1 minute
Cooking time: 2.5 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hr / 25-30 minutes in the fridge

Ingredients:
  1. 15 TBSP White Caster (Superfine) sugar
  2. 6 TBSP Golden Syrup
  3. 3 tsp Baking Soda
  4. 100gm block 70% Lindt Dark Chocolate, melted
Equipment:
  • Small Whisk
  • Lined baking tray
  • Spatula
Steps:
  1. Measure out all your ingredients, and ensure your baking soda is on standby
  2. Combine the Sugar and Golden Syrup in a medium saucepan on low heat, then turn up the temperature until the mixture is bubbling away for 2 minutes. Whisk the mixture to ensure the mixture doesn't burn
  3. Once 2 minutes is up, turn off the heat, pour in the baking soda and whisk away really quick to combine thoroughly.
  4. Pour out the mixture over your lined baking tray. I liked having the mixture in globs on the tray so that there was a good height to the honeycomb, however you can spread out the mixture evenly with a spatula
  5. Wait till the hokey pokey is fully cooled, drizzle over the melted dark chocolate and place in the fridge to cool until hardened.
  6. Break up the pieces and serve in anyway you like, or bottle up the shards of hokey pokey in an airtight jar. Don't wait too long to devour the whole lot :) And also don't store in a humid place!




In the spirit of Halloween, I decided to serve up the Almond Roca candy and another fresh batch of Hokey Pokey to the peeps at work today. When I took some of this stuff to work, no one (except for the one kiwi in my team) knew what Hokey Pokey was. It's not just a kiwi term, I've found it's actually a Cornish term for Honeycomb!

Although Jase's work peeps and my work peeps loved the Almond Roca fudge, I can't get the real butterscotch crunch off my mind. Once I master the art of Almond Roca I'll be sure to post up the recipe!
X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.