October 20, 2015

Triple C Energy Balls

Bikini and shorts season is on the horizon and I am probably not the only one that is a bit self conscious about what has stored up during winter! Lately, I've inserted a few health-kick foods into our diet at home because as much as I love snacking on chips whenever I'm famished, - justifying it with an equalising workout - I know that's not going to help with getting into fighting shape for the summer.

I've been meaning to give these protein balls or energy balls a go for awhile now, and managed to try some at a Boost kiosk right before we boarded our flight to Hawaii. They were simply delicious and I needed to replicate them at home stat! 
These chocolate, coconut, & chia seed balls, that I like to call Triple C Energy Balls, hits the spot when you're kinda hungry and low on energy but want a snack without the guilt trip afterwards. There's no sugar, no flour, no eggs, no dairy, none of the traditional baking stuff, which I find odd ...but pretty oddly refreshing!
Jase loves them and I've made them half a dozen times since tinkering around with a few recipes. There's no baking here, you just need a small food processor for blitzing. They should be made in 15 minutes!

Click after the jump for the recipe!




Triple C Energy Balls Recipe
Adapted from an original recipe "Raw Coconut & Cacao Bites" by Deliciously Ella


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of almond meal OR 3/4 cup of almond meal: 1/4 cup of toasted pistachios and coconut mix (I used this combo in the pictures above, but it's all really up to you what kind of nut mix you use as long as the almond content is at least 75%)
  • 1 cup toasted desiccated coconut + extra for topping (my preference is to toast them, just place in dry frying pan over low heat and stir around until lightly golden brown, if you can't be bothered, then just use normal desiccated coconut)
  • 2 TBSP Dutch Cocoa*
  • 4 TBSP of 100% Pure Nut Butter (I have always used peanut butter)
  • 1 TBSP Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil (I love the Melrose brand... smells like toffee from the jar!)
  • 1 TBSP Black Chia seeds
  • 6 Medjool Pitted Dates, chopped (or a dozen normal dates if you don't have Medjool on hand)

* I only put dutch cocoa here as that's what I had readily available in my pantry, but now that raw cacao powder is available in most supermarkets, definitely go that option like Ella suggests in her recipe!

STEPS 

1) Blitz Almonds and Coconut in a food processor or small blender until a rough powder forms
2) Add in the Coconut oil, Cocoa, and Nut butter. Blitz until a cookie dough like texture forms
3) Add the Chia Seeds, blitz again to mix through. At this stage, the mixture will look rather runny but slowly add in chopped dates and blitz again, and you'll notice that the dates firm up the mixture.
4) Form one heaped teaspoon balls in hand, then roll into balls and roll around in more toasted coconut. Place on tray and refrigerate to firm up or leave there until ready to eat. Makes 8-12 balls depending on how small/big you roll them out.
5) Alternatively press the whole mixture in a small tin and then sprinkle and press the toasted coconut on top, before placing in the fridge. Lift out the firmed up mixture from the tin, and slice up into mini oblong bars.

I like eating them straight from the fridge with the firmer texture, but they're lovely with a cup of tea at room temp too. Perfect for lunch boxes and a snack on the go!

X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.