May 25, 2014

Pancake Stack Heaven

I totally missed a week of blogging ... smack on the hand for that one! But I'm a total believer in quality, and if I don't have anything quality to blog or talk about with you all then it's not worth posting!
That's until I realised I hadn't posted up this little simple recipe for Pancakes. Yes, pancakes. Simple in all its entirety but total heaven when you want a slightly gourmet breakfast at home.


I made these pancakes at my friend's place for 4 of us before we went off to do the Million Paws Walk and I totally loved being able to cook and shoot in a different kitchen! I'm absolutely going to go around borrowing kitchens for future posts! Win win for everyone involved, and it's always a good way to gather in more guinea pigs for my recipes.

This recipe however didn't require testing, as the guinea pigs, I mean the friends, that I served this to had already had a good dose of them while we were at Airlie Beach. The only difference this time was the addition of buttermilk!
Anyways onto the recipe, a very old one at that. I've had this one stored in my brain FOR-EVER! Even non-cooks can make this recipe blindfolded!

PANCAKE STACK RECIPE

Serves 4 or 5 - halve the recipe for 2-3 people!

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 Cups Plain Flour
  • 6 tsp Baking Powder
  • 4 TBSP White Sugar (replace with Coconut sugar if you like)
  • 1 heaped tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
  • 375ml of Buttermilk (or Whole Milk)
  • 4 TBSP melted Butter
  • 2x Eggs (I use size 7 Free range eggs)
STEPS
1.  Whisk the Milk, Butter, Eggs & Vanilla extract in a small jug
2.  Roughly mix together the dry ingredients and pour in your liquid milk mixture. Beat the wet and dry ingredients together until smooth and the batter is free of lumps.
3.  Heat frying pan on high heat for a few minutes then turn the heat down to the lowest setting. (Not sure why I do this , but it seems to help me ensure that the pancake cooks evenly every time, whatever the stove, whatever the pan). Grease the frying pan with oil spray or pop a small tsp or 2 of oil into the pan. (You don't need much grease as the pancakes have butter already)
4.  Plop a small ladle full of batter into the pan, depending on the size of your pan plop one or two ladles down. Wait until small bubbles form on the mixture, then the pancake is ready to be flipped.
5.  Carry on ladling, flipping and stacking until your mixture is used up. Your stack of pancakes should stay warm throughout cooking with no need to keep warm in the oven! Serve with your favourite fruit, syrups, spreads, dairy, whatever... and devour :)

This mixture made about 13 pancakes, but it all depends how big your ladle full blobs are. I'm actually keen to play around with gluten-free options so if you have any suggestions on some good flour substitute ratios, let me know!





Happy last week of May!
X

Post a Comment

Mia Loves Pretty © . Design by FCD.